Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Our Beloved

Since I'm blogging now, I couldn't let the day pass without writing a little something on Mom.  Four years ago today she left this earth just 22 days shy of her 60th birthday.  Talk about a day I now dread...JUNE 1--ugh.  It is pretty close to NOVEMBER 1, the day we found out how sick she was.  Seven months to the day.  Totally sucks.  I hate cancer.  I mean, I HATE cancer. 

On a lighter note, Mom was one of a kind.  I miss her, and I know lots of other people do as well.  Either they miss her as much as they say they do, or they are just being nice.  I prefer to think it is the former and not the latter.  She was kind in every way.  Soft spoken but not one to be pushed around.  I am speaking from experience here--she meant what she said and she didn't often have to say what she meant.  You just knew.  She led by example and Kerry and I learned to take our cues from her.  She was always right and not because she said so, she really was.  She was gracious and dignified.  When she was sick, she never missed writing thank you notes when a meal was delivered.  At one point, one of her best friends asked her to please stop!  She knew Mom was thankful and she appreciated the gesture, but she was going to keep bringing meals no matter what.  When Mom was sick, the sweet cards, meals, and random acts of kindness poured in.  Having cancer is a brutal way to find out how much you are loved, but as Mom said:  "I know who my friends are, and I have not been disappointed!"

Dad put Kerry and I in charge of her headstone and footstone.  I, in turn, put Kerry in charge of said monuments.  Kerry is an artist, and Kerry was not going to let Mom have anything less than awesome.  We were all thrilled with how it turned out, so I thought I would post a picture.  Dad helped us come up with the wording for her footstone, and I think it sums her up to a T...'Our Beloved'...Perfect!

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her, Amen.
Headstone that Kerry designed and painstakingly handled every detail from start to finish.

Footstone--we discussed something more traditional like:  Wife, Mother, Friend etc...but Dad chose "Our Beloved"

No comments:

Post a Comment